Re: [Exim] Mail problem

Author: Dave C.
To: Derek Broughton
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mail problem
<-- Warning: charset 'X-UNKNOWN' is not supported -->

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Derek Broughton wrote:

> From: "Matthew Byng-Maddick" <exim@???>
>

> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 11:27:07AM +0100, V?geli Marc wrote:
> > > A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
> its
> > > recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
> failed:
> > >   proxy@192.168.201.22
> > >     unrouteable mail domain "192.168.201.22"
> > OK. you haven't specified an IP address there, if you want to use
> mail, can

> I beg to differ. While the correct way to specify an IP may be in
> brackets, it's obvious from the error ("unrouteable") that Exim did,
> in fact, understand that to be an IP.

Uhm, actually, no, it didnt. It attempted to resolve it as a _domain_,
which is why it said unroutable mail _domain_.

That is, it tried to look in the DNS for an all-numeric domain of
192.168.201.22. Since .22 isn't even a valid TLD, the DNS of course
returned 'NXDOMAIN', much like my query below.

$ dig 192.168.201.22 mx

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> 192.168.201.22 mx
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      192.168.201.22, type = MX, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       1D IN SOA       A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
nstld.verisign-grs.com. (
                                        2001112300      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

While theoritically using the user@[ip.ad.re.ss] format is technically
valid, it is a terribly archaic manner of addressing, and should be
obsoleted, if it isnt officially already, at least on the public
Internet. No mailhost I run will ever accept that as a sender or
recipient address, local or remote.