Re: [Exim] Virus Scanning with mailhubs

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
Para: Mike Richardson
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Virus Scanning with mailhubs
On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Mike Richardson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've currently got 4 mailhubs running Exim. These pass mail onto a whole
> load of different back end systems (unix, netware, exchange). We want to do
> virus scanning of all incoming and outgoing mail with as little disruption
> to config of the mailhubs as possible. They don't have the power or
> resources to scan the volume of mail we handle.
>
> I'm familiar with exiscan and amavis and would like to use exiscan
> with Sophos or McAfee to achieve this.
>
> Ideally I'd like to be able to build machines specifically for scanning a
> mail queue. The mailhubs would redirect all mail to the virus scanners which
> do their job and return any clean mails to the mailhubs for delivery.
> Delivering the mails directly using the virus machines would cause us some
> problems.
>
>    ^
> =======      =========
> | Hub |<=====| Virus |
> |     |      | Scan  |
> |     |=====>|       |
>    ^

My instinct is that you want to avoid machine -> machine transfers
as much as possible; the file system cache probably makes it efficient
to run the mta and the virus checker on the same machine.
However I don't have enough traffic to load even one machine
using exiscan and MacAffee, so I'm not talking from experience.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna