Re: [Exim] Sending Messages to /dev/null

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Matthew Byng-Maddick
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Sending Messages to /dev/null
On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 03:19:24PM -1200, Martin Cameron wrote:
> Is there a script that will allow us to send unwanted email to
> /dev/null.

As others have pointed out, this is doable in multiple different ways, I
won't be adding anything, but I think the smartuser driver is the nicest.

> We host a domain that is very similar to another ISP's domain. As a
> result, we get a lot of email coming to us bound for them which we
> simply want to pipe to /dev/null.

I've probably said this before, here, but it's important so I'll say it
again:

RELIABLE MAIL DELIVERY

RFC821 and its supercessor 2821 define a transport for "reliable" mail
delivery, such that if an MX host accepts the mail it is responsible for
delivering it onwards. If it can't do that, it should send a bounce back
to the sender. Now, I appreciate that there are certain cases where you
want to blackhole mail, I do it myself (for bait addresses in my spam
filter), however I advertise these addresses as being unmailable. If you
just blackhole anything for a domain, except for a valid-user, a user
sending mail but misspelling the local-part can mistakenly assume that
the other end has received the email. Or someone sending something to
the similar ISP ditto. This can cause a lot of problems, and if everyone
started doing it, then email would never have become the ubiquity that
it now is.

I'm going to ask nicely, it is possible to do this with exim, but your
doing it is a terrible idea. Please don't.

MBM