Re: [Exim] FAQ, Cnnn, Fnnn & user-friendliness

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Paul Makepeace
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] FAQ, Cnnn, Fnnn & user-friendliness
On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> Can I propose,
>
>   * splitting the FAQ into separate pages for each section (there are
>     plenty of open source tools to help manage files & FAQ websites)

> * putting the config samples online.

When I have got the Exim 4 alpha release out (hopefully by the end of
this month) my next task is to go through the FAQ and update it for Exim
4. Splitting the FAQ version into separate pages is probably a good
idea. There is also a txt version - intended for people who want to grep
through it. (Some of us, luckly, are not cursed with slow links. :-)

When you say "putting the config samples online" I presume you mean
putting each sample in a separate file so they can be downloaded
independently? (They are, after all, "online" already.)

The old config samples won't carry over to Exim 4, so I'll have to wait
for some new contributions. I was already intending to get better links
between the FAQ and the samples. I'll try to plan a suitable way of
doing this.

> I am more than happy to help to the extent of doing all the grunt work,
> including writing any scripts necessary to perform any conversion/
> house-keeping.

I already use a script to turn a plain text version into the .txt and
.html versions. It should be relatively easy to convert it, especially
as I have recently read the HTML book, so I should now know more about
what I am doing.

Nigel: if I just put these files onto the FTP site, will they
automatically get transferred over to the web site in a suitable way? Or
will we have to invent some mechanism? There will in any case have to be
some name changes for Exim 4 (which I was going to mail you about when
the alpha came out). I'll have to rename the old FAQ as FAQ.Exim3 or
something because we will need to keep it online. I don't see Exim 3
usage dropping off for a long time.