Re: [Exim] 2 MTA's on the same host

Top Pagina
Auteur: Tamas TEVESZ
Aan: Marsh, Ian
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] 2 MTA's on the same host
On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Marsh, Ian wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make Exim (listening on port 25)
> to route *all* mail to another MTA running on the same server but different
> port (eg 2525)? No mail will be local to the server on which the MTA's are
> running. I need to 'buffer' mail received from external hosts on the server
> and then feed it to the second MTA. This MTA can, occasionally, take some
> time to do it's required processing so I'd like to release the originating
> MTA as soon as possible, hence buffering it with Exim.

possible. you need to separate everything (spool directories, logs
[maybe that's not neccessary, but nice to], everything), then
configure the :25 one to send everything it receives to the other one.

this is achieved by not setting any local_domain (although beware as
'localhost' gets added automatically IIRC), and you need only one
transport that looks similar to this:

driver = smtp
hosts = 127.0.0.1
hosts_override
batch_max = 0
max_rcpt = 1
port = 2525

(some of these may not be neccessary; for some reason i used to have
them so. of course cook a router that will use this transport).
additionally configure this instance to have sending limits and
whatnot you want to impose.

now, as for the 'other' exim, you need to specify "local_interfaces =
127.0.0.1" (so that it only binds to the loopback interface) and also
tell it to use port 2525, for which i forgot the config option; the
rest of the cfg should be as you need it to.

--
[-]