Re: [Exim] 1.000.000 email delivered in single session

Autor: Tabor J. Wells
A: Sheldon Hearn
CC: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] 1.000.000 email delivered in single session
On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:44:18PM +0200,
Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@???> is thought to have said:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:31:57 +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
>
> > How about modifying your injection process? Use queue_smtp_domains (or
> > -odqs), and during the injection, have a look at how many exim processes
> > are running. If the number is greater than n, hold up the injection
> > process until the number drops below n. This will slow down the
> > injection rate, but do the routing while it is happening. I imagine you
> > could set n to several hundred, possibly more.
>
> The problem with this approach is that I can't find an option that
> prevents exim from timing out during a -bS SMTP dialogue. :-(
>
> Sadly, AOL seem to be dropping a lot of our mail because they assume a
> sudden rush from a single source is spam. This is kind of annoying when
> you limit yourself to the use of a confirmed opt-in subscriber base. :-)
>
> Part of the solution is to do all routing for aol.com first, and then
> limit all deliveries to a single SMTP connection.

You can also contact AOL and get then to whitelist your mail servers from
their rate throttlers. Call the number listed in the whois record and ask
to speak to their postmaster staff.

Once they confirm you're doing confirmed opt-in and make sure you aren't
running an open relay, you should be able to send large volumes of mail to
AOL without problems. Anyone with upwards of about 5000 AOL users on a
mailing list should do this otherwise you're going to run into problems
with mail being dropped without any any notice to sender or receiver.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality