Re: [Exim] Strange Exim problem

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Paul Miles
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Strange Exim problem
On Tue, 2001-10-23 at 10:59, Paul Miles wrote:
> Just to recap, periodically (every couple of days or so), exim just stops
> responding on port 25.

> The really odd thing is that if I restart or HUP exim, it all works fine
> (for another couple of days.)

It sounds somewhat like a file descriptors problem - maybe somewhere you
are leaking file descriptors. You can tweak up the numbers of
descriptors available by evil proc/sysctl changes. However exim should
not be leaking these (although a broken library could be doing that for
it).

Check the /proc/<pid>/fd directory for exim processes - especially the
daemon - to check how many are in use and if they are growing over time.

    Nigel.