Re: [Exim] bug in foranyaddress, Exim 3.33?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Markus Stoll
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] bug in foranyaddress, Exim 3.33?
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Markus Stoll wrote:

> netscape (even the latest release) creates illegal To: headers, containing
> a unquoted special characters, e.g.:
>
> To: 12345: my name <my_name@???>

That is indeed illegal, but are you sure it isn't actually

To: 12345: my name <my_name@???>;

Note the final semicolon. That syntax is legal. It's "group syntax".

> foranyaddress gives up on such illegal addresses returning a "false".

Unfortunately, foranyaddress does not understand "group syntax". It just
expects to find a single list of addresses. This is clearly a deficiency
in foranyaddress. I will put this on a wish list.

> Is there a way to
> - work around this problem (unfortunately foranyaddress ${tr{$h_to:}{:}{_}}
> does not work

That worked for me when I tried with a valid group-syntax header. But I
also translated ; to comma.