Re: [Exim] Recipient Verification

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Ollie Cook
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Recipient Verification
On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Ollie Cook wrote:

>   exim -bv localpart@???
>     nosuchuser@??? failed to verify:
>     unknown local-part "nosuchuser" in domain "freeuk.com"

> So far, so good; it new_address'ed the original
> recipient, and then looked up the resulting local_part
> in the MySQL database - and didn't find it.
>
> If I do it from a telnet session, though:
>
> 220 buckaroo.freeuk.net ESMTP Exim 3.33 #1 Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:24:00 +0100
> HELO mutare.noc.clara.net
> 250 buckaroo.freeuk.net Hello mutare.noc.clara.net [195.8.70.94]
> MAIL FROM:<ollie@???>
> 250 <ollie@???> is syntactically correct
> RCPT TO:<localpart@???>
> 550 Unknown local part localpart in <localpart@???>
>
> The 550 message in this case is a little confusing; I would have though
> Exim would have said something like:
>
> 550 Unknown local part nosuchuser in <nosuchuser@???>

The remote user knows only the address localpart@???
and one shouldn't really expose the inner workings of the routing
externally. That's why the message sent to the remote hosts includes the
original address and not anything that it's been converted into.

> So, it would seem from an operational point of view, Exim is doing what
> I think it ought to be doing - it's just that the error message threw
> me a bit.

You know too much! :-)

> Philip, would it be simple to fix-up the 550 message that Exim returns,
> in this situation, or shall I just wait for Exim 4 and modify the code
> to just say "No such user here" in the interim?

Wait for Exim 4. And consider how much internal information you do want
to expose.