Re: [Exim] split_spool_directory overhead

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sheldon Hearn
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] split_spool_directory overhead
On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> When I reach the point at which it makes sense for me to invest some
> time in split_spool_directory_even_more functionality, will it be a lot
> of work?

How long is a piece of string? Depends what you want to do, doesn't it?

> By the way, why is it that one sees better throughput from launching a
> large number of queue runners than one does by running 1 queue runner
> that is allowed to launch a large number of delivery processes?

This is a meaningless question, because a queue runner only ever
launches 1 delivery process at a time. I think you are perhaps confused
about remote_max_parallel. That controls the number of (sub)processes
that a single delivery process launches when it has multiple remote
deliveries to do. If you only ever have one recipient per message (as I
seem to recall you do) you won't see any difference whatever you set
remote_max_parallel to.