Re: [Exim] split_spool_directory overhead

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sheldon Hearn
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] split_spool_directory overhead
Subject: Re: [Exim] split_spool_directory overhead
On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> 2) Exim queue runners' memory requirements are directly proportional to
>    the size of the largest spool directory.

Yes, that's true. I'd forgotten to point that out.

> Do you think point 2 is unavoidable, or is it just the result of poor
> memory management in an area that you never imagined would become
> important?

It's unavoidable without an entirely different way of doing queue runs.
(Basically, Exim sucks the queue - i.e. the list of files - into memory
at the start, and then processes it. When the spool directory is split,
it does this one sub-directory at at time.)