exim config file and copyright (was Re: [Exim] Exim/Win32 FA…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Chad Leigh -- Shire Net LLC
A: exim-users
Temas antiguos: Re: [Exim] Exim/Win32 FAQ
Asunto: exim config file and copyright (was Re: [Exim] Exim/Win32 FAQ)
On Friday, October 12, 2001, at 04:32 AM, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> I've no problem with you selling GPL software. However you must make
> the source available to those that buy it, and you cannot prevent them
> redistributing the source or the binaries. If you wish to prevent this
> happening you must release it under something other than the GPL, which
> means you must get exim licensed to you under different terms. This is
> perfectly possible as long as all the code copyright holders agree to it
> - and there is your problem.

I am making a commercial product that will include exim. I have no
problem giving away the source and binaries for exim since I didn't
write exim, and my licenses will make sure exim is distributed
appropriately and that people know what they are paying for. My
contribution is really a sophisticated user manager, domain manager etc
and some exim config files that work with the scheme I am using for
users and services (spam filters, ldap layouts, ldap access, virus
detection setup configs, etc). I assume that I can copyright my exim
configuration parts that are unique? I know you guys aren't GPL
lawyers, just wondering what people thought. Only those parts of the
config I generate would be included.

This is also not so important as the part that is really important is
the user manager software itself, which is independant of exim (you
could use any MTA configured appropriately, I am just using exim).

Chad