Re: [Exim] TLS (SSL) enabled = TLS (SSL) mandated???

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Tabor J. Wells
Para: Chris Seberino
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] TLS (SSL) enabled = TLS (SSL) mandated???
On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 05:56:19PM -0700,
Chris Seberino <seberino@???> is thought to have said:

> If I enable TLS support in Local/Makefile does that
> mean Exim will NOT work if someone tries to send/receive
> email from/to remote machine that does NOT have TLS (SSL)???

Not unless you specifically configure it to be that way. By default if you
compile in TLS support exim will attempt to use SSL when another host
advertises STARTTLS. Likewise you can also configure your server to
advertise STARTTLS. Read chapter 38 of the Exim specification for details.

> Fetchmail also has TLS (SSL) support. It would almost
> be nice if it was mandated so I would know if all
> my email was private.

You really can't know that. Well, unless you only send email to yourself
on a completely closed system. And even then I wouldn't be so sure. :)

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality