Re: [Exim] List of what's new and changed in Exim 4

Top Pagina
Auteur: Phil Chambers
Aan: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] List of what's new and changed in Exim 4
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Phil Chambers wrote:
>
> > I appreciate that there will be the local_scan() facility which will be invoked
> > before acknowledgement of the SMTP DATA phase, but is there any chance of the
> > system filter being invoked at the same stage?
>
> No. Certainly not in the first release. And possibly never. Reasons:
>
>   (1) It's expensive, especially if you specify a user - that requires a
>       fork and another process process.

>   (2) Many of the things you can do in a filter - save, pipe, mail, for
>       example - are not things that can be done at message reception
>       time.

Thanks for the explanation. I can see that there are technical issues there
which can't be resolved. It is a shame that the "don't re-invent the wheel"
principle breaks down and we can't use Exim's existing filter language without
re-coding it.

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter