Re: [Exim] errors_copy from a file?

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] errors_copy from a file?
On Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:02:04 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Marc Haber wrote:
>> errors_copy = "baduser@??? blackhole@localhost : \
>>           *@* postmaster@localhost"

>> seems to do what I want, with blackhole locally aliased to
>> :blackhole:.
>>
>> I have two questions about this:
>>
>> (1)
>> Is there a more straightforward method to turn off bounce copies to
>> postmaster for a certain bounce recipient than sending the bounces to
>> a locally blackholed address?
>
>I don't think so. errors_copy is, I think, a relatively little used
>facility.

This is a pity, IMO. Taking even a short look at my bounces has helped
me in the past to find misconfigurations in the e-mail system at our
site and at our customer's sites, so it is a valuable debugging tool.
Fortunately, we are small enough to be able to still look at our
bounces.

>> (2)
>> Is there a possibility to read the errors_copy data from a file?
>
>TFM says the domain can be anything in a domain list. Have you
>tried *@lsearch;/some/file ?

Not yet. But this isn't what I intend to do anyway, since I need to be
able to get rid of bounces for some recipients, while I still want to
see bounces for other recipients in the same domain. So, a domain
lookup isn't what I am looking for.

If this can't be done with exim 3, I can still write the (short) list
directly into exim.conf.

>In Exim 4, the first part of each item in an errors_copy list is treated
>as an address list, so that allows all those kinds of lookup.

That sounds nice ;)

Greetings
Marc