Re: [Exim] receiver_verify_*

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Corbin, Greg Ward
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] receiver_verify_*
On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, David Corbin wrote:

> > 127.0.0.1 matches this list".
>
> but it DOES match "!192.168.100.0/24".

Yes, but it DOES NOT match 192.168.100.0/24, and there are more items in
the list, so it goes on to scan them. That's the way Exim works - please
RTFM. (If you want to think of this in logic terms, "!a : !b" means "not
and and not b".)

> > a host list. You should really be using receiver_verify_hosts.
> >

> why? I want to deal with addresses, not hosts.

Sigh. I really should never write "address"; instead I should write
either "IP address" or "email address". Sadly, one gets lazy. Please
note that in the names of Exim options, "address" always means "email
address". If you want to use IP addresses, you can do so wherever a host
name is allowed. Hence my suggestion.

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Greg Ward wrote:

> I think "address" here means an email address, ie. "something with an @
> in it". "Host" means either a hostname or an IP address.

Yes, indeed.

> Sounds to me like you should read chapter 7 of the Exim spec, with
> special attention to sections 7.13 (Host lists) and 7.16 (Address
> lists).

Yup!