Re: [Exim] mailing list.

Author: Greg Ward
To: Derrick MacPherson
CC: 'exim'
Subject: Re: [Exim] mailing list.
On 02 October 2001, Derrick MacPherson said:
> I have a mailing list with about 40 address's, some local, some not. any
> address to our mother ship company (@cbc.ca) that are generated from the
> list are bouncing, with the secondary MX telling me that relaying is not
> allowed. The weird thing is that if I send an individual message, it gets
> through, and I'm assuming it's not to the secondary MX.
>
> The secondary MX is not relaying as it should be, I have telneted to the
> SMTP port and tested, and it's not allowing relaying. The part that I'm
> confused by is why are the mailing list going to the secondary and not the
> primary MX?

Strange.  I would suggest this:
  * for testing purposes, strip the alias file down to one address that
    works and one that doesn't -- this is just to avoid annoying
    40 people with "testing" messages
  * run
      exim -d5 addr@??? < /dev/null
      exim -d5 addr@??? < /dev/null
    (assuming those are your two test addresses), just to verify that
    sending directly to addr@??? gets through.
  * run
      exim -d5 xxx < /dev/null
    and watch carefully as Exim expands the alias and delivers to
    each address, especially addr@???.  If it's not clear what's
    happening, try with -d6 .. -d9.  If you're still confused when
    you get to -d9, post to the list with the "exim -d9 xxx" output.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@???