[Exim] Vacation (autoreply) problems

Author: Ryan Cartwright
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Vacation (autoreply) problems
Hi,

I've read the docs and search the lists but there doesn't seem to be
anything that matches my question....so....

I've been using exim for about eight months but never really tried to do
anything out of the ordinary with it. Now I am trying to put in a
vacation filter system

This is my director

# This director handles vacation mail for users
uservacation:
user = $local_part
driver = forwardfile
check_local_user
require_files = /usr/local/vacation/$local_part
owners = exim
file = /usr/local/vacation/.filter
filter
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
reply_transport = address_reply

This sits between userforward: and localuser: directors. The
address_reply transport looks like this:-

# This transport is used for handling autoreplies generated by the
filtering
# option of the forwardfile director.

address_reply:
driver = autoreply

end

This is the last entry in my transport section (hence the "end").
As you can see the director requires a file
/usr/local/vacation/$local_part which contains the users vacation
message. It also points to a common filter file, which contains:-

# Exim filter

if personal then
vacation
   subject "AutoReply: $h_subject"
   text "-------------------------\nThis message
has been composed by e-mail software.\n
delivery of your e-mail (subject: $h_subject) has
not been affected. There is nothing you need do.\n
Thanks\n---------------------------\n\n"
    expand file "/usr/local/vacation/$local_part"
endif

The "text" bit is all one line - I have trincated it for this e-mail.
This file is owned by exim and has 754 permission

The idea is that users will be able to use a perl driven web page to set
their own vacation message which is automatically removed at their
chosen (or by them) time by another script.

The director appears to work fine but gives an error I cannot fathom.
Here are the log records for a test message I sent to "testuser".
/usr/local/vacation/testuser exists and is owned by testuser (777).
/usr/local/vacation is owned by exim (777).

2001-09-25 16:37:02 15luGc-0008SX-00 <= ryan@??? H=(ryan)
[192.168.3
.200] P=esmtp S=733
id=000401c145d7$d323aba0$c803a8c0@???
2001-09-25 16:37:02 15luGc-0008SX-00 => testuser
<testuser@???> D=lo
caluser T=local_delivery
2001-09-25 16:37:02 15luGc-0008SX-00 == ><ryan@???>
<testuser@cafami
ly.org.uk> T=address_reply defer (0): Failed to send message from
address_reply
transport (69)

The last line shows the (69) message I get. The message I send (to
testuser) is delivered okay and if I send another the logging and once
systems work to prevent me being sent another autoreply. The logs do not
show an error this time just:

2001-09-25 17:36:35 15lvCF-00009T-00 <= ryan@??? H=(ryan)
[192.168.3
.200] P=esmtp S=1571
id=000a01c145e0$24a887e0$c803a8c0@???
2001-09-25 17:36:35 15lvCF-00009T-00 => testuser
<testuser@???> D=lo
caluser T=local_delivery
2001-09-25 17:36:35 15lvCF-00009T-00 => >ryan@???>
<testuser@cafami
ly.org.uk> D=uservacation T=address_reply
2001-09-25 17:36:35 15lvCF-00009T-00 Completed

I can find no mention of a 69 error code - any ideas what might be the
problem?

regards
Ryan Cartwright - IT Manager
ryan@???
Direct Line 020 7608 8752
Contact a Family - http://www.cafamily.org.uk
Helping families who care for children with any disability or special
need

209-211 City Rd, London. EC1V 1JN
Tel 020 7608 8700
Fax 020 7608 8701
Helpline 0808 808 3555 - free for parents and carers (10am - 4pm
Mon-Fri)
Minicom 020 7608 8702

Registered Charity No 284912
Company Limited by guarantee No. 1633333
Registered Office: 209-211 City Rd, London. EC1V 1JN
Information contained in this e-mail is intended for the use of the
addressee only, and is confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient
please inform the sender and remove this message from your systems.