Re: [Exim] exicyclog request

Autor: John W Baxter
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] exicyclog request
At 17:11 +0100 9/23/2001, Philip Hazel wrote:
>On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Marc Haber wrote:
>
>> This brings me around to a question I wanted to ask for ages: Why does
>> exim bring its own log rotation script? There are numerous standard
>> way to do this available, logrotate being one of the most prominent.
>> Why did you re-invent that kind of wheel for exim?
>
>I don't think logrotate is universally available. When I started on
>Exim, I knew very little about any Unix systems except Solaris. There's
>no logrotate on Solaris, as far as I know. Maybe there's something else,
>but I am not an expert.
>
>You don't have to use exicyclog. It's just there if you need it.

In the BSDi versions we're still using (for a short time), there is a
rotate shell function, which is called appropriately in the daily, et al
scripts. In previous BSDi versions, rotate was defined in those
scripts...so in BSDi alone, Philip would have had to cover (at least) two
cases. The current rotate can be told what user/group/mode belong on the
new file; I don't recall that the old defined-in-script function could.

And I don't think BSDi rotate can be convinced to start with .01 as the
first old file and leave it uncompressed...both of which I find handy.

Frankly, I haven't yet gotten fully comfortable with Linux logrotate
configurations. But it's only a matter of practice.

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA