[Exim] I am desperated

Autor: Guenter Mueller
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] I am desperated
Hello,

we are running exim 3.22 and were sure that we could not act as open
relay. But we are open to the percent hack!!

Our mailgateway acts only as a mail relay to protect ALL hosts in our
domain. We only accept smtp connection from outside on this mailgateway.
We have neither local users on this gateway nor any local domains
configured. All mail for user@??? should be handeld by host
uni-freiburg.de which is [132.230.1.230].

So we have configured:

headers_check_syntax = true
headers_checks_fail = false
headers_sender_verify = true
headers_sender_verify_errmsg = true

helo_verify = false
host_accept_relay = uni-freiburg.de : 132.230.0.0/16

ignore_errmsg_errors = true

message_size_limit = 20M

# percent_hack_domains = *

receiver_verify = true

relay_domains=uni-freiburg.de:*.uni-freiburg.de
relay_domains_include_local_mx = true

sender_verify = true
sender_verify_fixup = false
sender_verify_reject = false

smtp_accept_max = 100
received_headers_max = 30
<-----------------------------------------------------

Though the percent_hack isn't enabled,
exim accepts all mails for X%Y@???
and delivers it to mail host uni-freiburg.de [132.230.1.230]
which accepts relaying because this is from local domain
and delivers to X@Y
which is unwanted relay!

I couldn't find any hints in the exim book from O'Reily. The FAQ did'nt
help me either in our special configuration. Any clues?

Kind Regards

Guenter Mueller

                University of Freiburg - Computing Center
mailto:Guenter.Mueller@rz.uni-freiburg.de  Phone/FAX: +49 761 203 -4622/-4643