[Exim] verify failed for SMTP recipient

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Jeremy C. Reed
To: exim-users
Betreff: [Exim] verify failed for SMTP recipient
I sent a mail from my workstation (rainier) which is not running Exim to
my Exim 3.12 server. Exim logged:

2001-09-18 00:40:54 verify failed for SMTP recipient protozoa@???
from <reed@???> H=rainier [192.168.0.2]
2001-09-18 00:40:54 unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP command
from rainier [192.168.0.2]

But it didn't have any other identifying information.

My exim config does have "receiver_verify". But I understand that this is
so recipients are verified as they are received from remote host. In this
case, the email address is somewhere else.

I am unclear on this.

Does this log message indicate that my Exim thought it was local?

And if so, why?

Or does this mean that the remote host (whoever is responsible) said this?
And if so, why don't I have a log entry that says the host name that
reported this?

Also, from looking at my maillog on the workstation (rainier), I see that
nothing was logged for that email; this indicates that it wasn't
successful. (I'll need to tell that MTA to indicate problems also.)

I read a message[1] from Dr. Hazel that said this "verify failed" is
written after Exim has sent a 500 error message. I never received any 500
error message and I didn't see any reference to this in the logs. (I may
have this out of context or misunderstood.)

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://www.isp-faq.com/    -- find answers to your questions

[1]
http://www.exim.org/mailman/htdig/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20010212/author.html#24121