Re: [Exim] just a helping hint

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Greg Ward
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] just a helping hint
On 14 September 2001, Robert Fink said:
> -local mail (coming from fetchmail) is delivered to the user
> -mail to anyone is delievered over a relay smtp host (mail.gmx.net)
> -mail coming from pine with FROM: adress like Robert@mycomputer should be
> transformed to FROM: unniceone@??? or similar.
>
> I would be very thankfull if you could give me a file or a chapter where I
> can start informing myself how to configure exim for my needs.

The Debian package for Exim comes with a simple but highly effective
script called eximconfig. ISTR that it's also included in some RPM
packaging of Exim (eg. on Red Hat's Powertools disc) -- I don't think
there's anything Debian-specific in the script.

You might also start with the sample config included with Exim. You'll
probably just read a lot of comments and delete a lot of stuff.

Finally, you probably don't really need a full-blown MTA for this sort
of thing. (I've used both qmail and Exim for my home PC, and both are
massive flaming overkill. But it's fun to learn...) I think there's a
program called ssmtp that will do what you want. Hmmm... looks like it
doesn't act as an SMTP server, which could be troublesome with
fetchmail. Whatever.

> PS... I don't want to read mail using telnet pop.gmx.net 110 any longer...
> so installing exim is urgent ;-)

If you use mutt, it has simple a built-in POP client. Just hit "G" and
no need for fetchmail or a local MTA. Crude but effective.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@???