[Exim] filter efficiency

Author: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] filter efficiency
I was looking at trying to minimise the load imposed by my system filter. It seems
to me that any message carrying a virus or worm would be very unlikely to have a
message_body_size less that several kilobytes. So, placing

  if $message_body_size is below <some-size>
  then
    finish
  endif

before any virus/worm checking would speed things up for most messages. The
question is: what would be a sensible value for <some-size>? Very few plain text
messages seem to be over 5K, looking at the ones I receive, but could a virus/worm
be so small?

Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter