Re: [Exim] Exim and Lotus Notes

Author: Philip Hazel
To: pbornacin
CC: exim-users, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim and Lotus Notes
On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 pbornacin@??? wrote:

> I am trying to authenticate from a Lotus Notes client (5.06a) on exim
> 3.33, but when the server is ready to receive the data it goes out the
> message:
> "unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP dates (header) from... "

<snip>

> SMTP<< AUTH LOGIN aXBj

Exim received this line. It is not valid. When using LOGIN
authentication, the client is supposed to send just "AUTH LOGIN", but
yours has send additional data. Exim is interpreting the additional data
as the first data field - i.e. the user name. (The data sent decodes as
"ipc" incidentally.)

> SMTP>> 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

Exim sends a prompt, asking for the password.

> login authenticator:
> $1 = xxxxxx
> expanded string: 1
> SMTP>> 235 Authentication succeeded

There's something missing here. There should be an incoming line before
that outgoing SMTP line. Has the debug output got mangled somehow?

> SMTP<< ZmVyZGk=

Exim's now expecting a command, not more authentication data, so it
says:

> SMTP>> 500 Unrecognized command

Now it receives a blank line, again not expected:

> SMTP<<
> SMTP>> 500 Unrecognized command

The client now starts sending the message:

> SMTP<< MAIL FROM:<xxxxxxxx@???> SIZE=2926
> spool directory /var/spool/exim space = 4071750 blocks; inodes = 2354821;
> check_space = 0 (0 blocks); inodes = 0; msg_size = 7926 (1 blocks)
> xxxxxxxx@??? in sender_reject? no (option unset)
> xxxxxxxx@??? in sender_reject_recipients? no (option unset)
> SMTP>> 250 <xxxxxxxx@???> is syntactically correct
> SMTP<< RCPT TO:<gligi@???>
> libero.it in local_domains? no (end of list)
> libero.it in relay_domains? no (end of list)
> host in host_accept_relay? no (end of list)
> host in host_auth_accept_relay? yes (*)
> host is permitted to relay
> sender is permitted to relay
> SMTP>> 250 <gligi@???> is syntactically correct
> SMTP<< DATA
> SMTP>> 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself

All goes well until Exim asks the client to send the message.

> search_tidyup called
> LOG: 4 MAIN
> unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP data (header) from
> ppp-57-50.25-151.libero.it (PPPED01) [151.25.50.57]
> SMTP>> 421 Lost incoming connection

The connection got dropped. There is little more that one can deduce
from this, I'm afraid.

> search_tidyup called
> set_process_info: 4667 handling incoming connection from
> ppp-57-50.25-151.libero.it (PPPED01) [151.25.50.57]
> ready for new message
> smtp_setup_msg entered
> SMTP>> 421 mail.ipcleaning.com lost input connection

Hmm. Why is is sending that 421 twice? Were there two connections?

Sorry I can't be more helpful here.