Re: [Exim] Log Rotation

Author: Odhiambo Washington
To: KP^2 - NOC
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Log Rotation
* KP^2 - NOC <noc@???> [20010901 06:15]: writing on the subject '[Exim] Log Rotation'
| I guess my first question would be, do I need to rotate mainlog, paniclog,
| and rejectlog?
|
| And if so, I would really like to use newsyslog (this is on a FreeBSD 4.4
| system), which I tried but encountered a problem.  When newsyslog creates
| the new log file, it is owned by root.  If any of you have a work around in
| place for this, I would love to hear it!!  So, for now I just disabled
| newsyslog (at least where the exim logs are concerned), and chown'd the log
| files so the exim user was the owner.  Here are my newsyslog conf lines for
| exim:
|
| /var/log/exim/mainlog                   644  7     *    @T00  Z
| /var/log/exim/paniclog                  644  7     *    @T00  Z
| /var/log/exim/rejectlog                 644  7     *    @T00  Z
|
| Thanks!
| CK

path/to/mainlog   exim:mail    640  7     *    @T00  Z /var/run/exim.pid
path/to/rejectlog exim:mail    640  7     *    @T00  Z
path/to/paniclog  exim:mail    640  7     *    @T00  Z

From man newsyslog(8)

 logfile_name
         Name of the system log file to be archived.
 owner:group
         This optional field specifies the owner and group for the archive
         file.  The ":" is essential, even if the owner or group field is
         left blank.  The field may be numeric, or a name which is present
         in /etc/passwd or /etc/group.

If you install Exim from the ports, then this gentleman called Sheldon
also made notes to that effect. The notes always appear if you keenly
watch your make install process ;-)

HTH

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

I am not a number! I am a free numeric variable!
(contributed by Frank v Waveren)