Re: [Exim] WildCard setup for unqualified addresses

Author: Daniel Powell
To: Phil Pennock
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] WildCard setup for unqualified addresses
On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Phil Pennock wrote:

> On 2001-08-20 at 16:17 -0400, Daniel Powell wrote:
> > > Directors are tried in turn; first Director which matches a given mail,
> > > is used. The aliases file director is typically before the localuser
> > > director.
> > >
> > > Remove the '*' item, change it back to lsearch, and add a new director
> > > as the last one in the section, so that every other director is tried
> > > first. Make it something like:
> > >
> > > catchall:
> > > driver = smartuser
> > > new_address = thetargetusername
>
> > Should there be anything in the /etc/aliases ? or will it automagicly
> > work?
>
> Only the regular stuff.
>
> Each director handles a given set of mails, but does not have some kind
> of exclusive control. The aliases director which you've seen handles
> the normal aliases in the traditional way. You could then have a second
> aliases director, using a different file, or asking a database or LDAP
> server, or many other funky things, performing more alias mappings.
>
> When a director accepts and handles a mail, it's considered "dealt
> with". There's no concept of "oh, look at the later directors, see if
> any of them are a better match". What a director can do is "decline",
> which lets a later director deal with the address, or "fail", which
> declares the address to be bad, and no further directors are tried.
>
> So the "catchall" director which I supplied, when the last director,
> simply takes any mails which haven't been dealt with so far. It's a
> smartuser director, so it can do funky things. There are no conditions
> or restrictions, so unless it fails or declines when expanding
> new_address, it will handle all mails. new_address is a very simple
> mapping to a new username. So this director catches all the mails which
> haven't been dealt with elsewhere.
>
> I suggest also using "headers_add" (see the docs) to add a new header,
> or directing it to a different address, as I suspect you'll find a lot
> of spam being matched by this director. An extra header would make it
> easier for your mail-client to match them all.
>
> You can add a "domains = ..." restriction to a director, to only make it
> handle certain local domains. If dealing with multiple domains, you
> might want to make "thetargetusername" actually be a full, valid, email
> address.
>
> Does this clarify sufficiently?
> --

Yes, that makes some more sense... I'll hammer on it and see if it does
exactly what I want.

Daniel Powell            A+              djpowell@???
Networkgeek              MCP               http://networkgeek.org
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts
agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer
professionals. We cause accidents." - Nathaniel Borenstein