Re: [Exim] errors_copy

Author: Greg Ward
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] errors_copy
On 16 August 2001, Dan Egli said:
> Odd thing I noticed. I telnetted to the smpt port of a machine running exim
> 3.22. I know for a fact that there was no user garbage at this box. So
> assuming his domain was otherdom1.com (its not but I don't want to say who's
> it was just yet), Here's what I got:
>
> 220 mgr2.xmission.com ESMTP Exim 3.22 #1 Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:34:43 -0600
> helo shortcircuit.dyndns.org
> 250 mgr2.xmission.com Hello shortcircuit.dyndns.org [207.173.222.90]
> MAIL FROM: <dan@???>
> 250 <dan@???> is syntactically correct
> RCPT TO: <garbage@???
> 250 <garbage@???> is syntactically correct
> data
> 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> From: Dan Egli <dan@???>
> To: Garbage User <garbage@???>
> Subject: Reject this mail
>
> This mail should have been rejected since there is no garbage user!

Exim is *highly* configurable. If I remember rightly, you can configure
it to reject immediately after the bogus RCPT, after the DATA, or to
accept the bogus message and then send a bounce later. I'm sure there
are good reasons for an MTA to act in all three of these ways, depending
on circumstances.

Scan the index for words like "reject" or "deny", methinks...

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@???