Re: [Exim] relaying and exim doesn`t send

Author: Dan Egli
To: tfischer, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] relaying and exim doesn`t send
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fischer" <tfischer@???>
To: <exim-users@???>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 10:20 AM
Subject: [Exim] relaying and exim doesn`t send

> Hi,
>
> i had several problems with my configuration. The Machine is a FreeBSD-4.3
> and exim is version 3.31.
>
> The first problem is that exim does not send mails out to the world unless

> start exim -q from console. exim -bt <remoteadress> shows the correct

router,
> transport and the MX entries for the remote adress.

Cann't help with that. What does your mainlog say? Paniclog?

> The second Problem is that exim accepts mails for all doamins also for
> non-local domains and tries to deliver. I don't want to be a mailhost for
> spammer.
>
> My configuration is as follows
>
> hide pgsql_servers = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/table/user/password
> local_domains = pgsql;select * from exim_domains where domain='$key';
> forbid_domain_literals
> never_users = root
> relay_domains = pgsql;select * from exim_domains where domain='$key';
> receiver_verify
> sender_verify
> host_accept_relay = *

That is your problem. By setting host_accept_relay = * you are saying that
ANYONE is allowed to relay mail through your gateway. My exim is on the
gateway from our internal private net to the public internet, and so this is
my host_accept_relay line:
host_accept_relay = 192.168.0.0/24 : 127.0.0.1

What that does is only someone with a Class C IP in the 192.168 range can
send mail to my server unless it's for my domains.