Re: [Exim] Exim Help

Author: John W Baxter
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim Help
At 15:45 -0600 8/13/2001, Aly Dharshi wrote:
>2001-08-13 15:33:10 refused relay (host) to <ferhanbhanji@???> from
><aly.dharshi@???> H=(rez256.uleth.ca) [142.66.73.2]
>
>    And a couple more like this. I use Eudora as a mail client and
>yesterday
>everything was well. Today I try sending mail and these are the messages I
>receive.

>    I have allowed messages from the *.reznet.uleth.ca to be accepted
>by Exim
>for delivery via smtp. I have noticed that messages from remote sites such
>as from cs.uleth.ca or uleth.ca even webmail on another server in the
>reznet.uleth.ca system are accepted and delivered comfortably.

>    Is it complaining about my IP address and associated name for it in
>DNS. I
>am quite stumped. I would be grateful for any help that you can provide me
>with. Thanks.

% nslookup 142.66.73.2
Server: ...
Address: ...

*** ... can't find 142.66.73.2: Non-existent host/domain

So 142.66.73.2 isn't identifiable as being part of *.resnet.uleth.ca (or,
it seems, anything else you've allowed to relay) and therefore it can't
relay. I suggest you allow the relaying by IP address (subnet if it fits).
And setting up or arranging for reverse name lookup would be a good idea.

The "(failed to find host name from IP address)" part looks as if it were
part of the error report, but it's more like "commentary" by Exim (I'm not
going to accept this relay, and oh by the way the host has no name). At
least in most places it appears...it isn't the cause of the rejection.

====
Since this started happening suddenly, you ought to ask yourself...
1. did I change my Eudora setup?
2. did I change the Exim configuration?
3. did I have reverse name service for 142.66.73.2 and it suddenly went
away?

The (new) problem should result from one of those issues.

--John

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA