Re: [Exim] criticism/comment about missing info in install d…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Andromeda
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Exim
Aihe: Re: [Exim] criticism/comment about missing info in install docs
At 22:28 01/08/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I want to love exim. I successfully got it to SEND mail by following the
>simple compilation directions (create Local/Makefile, make; make install,
>etc.) It was either this or trying to RECEIVE mail that required
>"touching" /etc/aliases since exim expected that file to exist.

Hello Chris, and welcome to this wooooonderful list of old crusty systems
admins (*hint* *dodges flying bulk erasers*)

Well, err, yes... usually /etc/aliases exists. But, of course, not having
mentioned it may be a thing for the FAQ.

>The problem is that install docs give the impression that installation
>is a few step process that is quick and easy. [...]

Which it is. I had it working well in 5 minutes after the install :)

>[...] They fail to mention that they have omitted a few steps
>like the "touch /etc/aliases" that I only got from this mailing list.

Which, as I said above, might be an item for the FAQ, and the INSTALL file.

>steps like "touch /etc/aliases" that are left out of the quick install
>section. Please help. Yes I printed the entire exim manual. Please

Nope, you should be fine with the default install. RBL works well, relaying
is DISABLED by default, and the samples that are included in the FAQ at
the Exim website include some virtual domain configurations (including mine
in C015 and C016). I am available for help with that, since the
configurations are in 2.x format, and you have to call the convert scripty
that Philip so nicely includes in the install.

>don't tell me to RTFM. A newbie like me should not have to read
>300+ pages to install a program!!!!! [...]

Indeed you shouldn't. But 300+ pages in paper format look so much better on
a desk (just kidding, paper docs are ALWAYS helpful).

>[...] How did you guys all know about "touch /etc/aliases" and other steps?

We didn't have to. We mostly migrated from sendmail, which had that in
place. So that hasn't become apparent until nowadays :)

Regards

Andromeda