Re: [Exim] SMTP Timeouts sending mail

Autor: Mike Richardson
A: Andrew Johnson
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] SMTP Timeouts sending mail
On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 02:26:56PM +0100, Andrew Johnson wrote:
> That is a pretty good thought which I hadn't considered, although
> what I'm not sure of is if this affects the initial connection to Exim. I
> can understand how a lookup to a blocking site may hang your
> email *after* you have said who you are.. But at what point in the
> mail transcript does it connect to the blocking site?

I'm presuming (and thats all it is) that there is a look up taking
place of the connectors hostname/ip address to determine the
origin of the connection.

If that isn't the case then it might be that connections which are
made are taking up so much of a processes time doing the lookup
that there are too many processes running it exceed the max number
of allowed exim processes and thus chucks you out.

We were getting a mixture of instant 'too many processes' and 60+
time outs.

Mike
Copyright 2001       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing
University of Manchester, M13 9PL     doctor@???    Int: 56009
Left through main doors.         Right then left at end of corridor.
First door on left.   URL http://kira.mcc.ac.uk/  Ext: 0161 275 6009
"If I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you!" - Chuck Norris
"If anything happens to my daughter I have a 45 and shovel" Clueless