Re: [Exim] starting exim

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Midwest Mold
Cc: exim
Temas nuevos: Re: [Exim] starting exim (and RPMs available)
Asunto: Re: [Exim] starting exim
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Midwest Mold wrote:

> First I will appologize for my ignorance in needing to ask this
> quetsion. I am just getting my feet wet with linux & find myself
> stumbling more than I want to admit. That said, I am installing
> exim-3.22 on a p90, 32 m ram, 10g hd, rh7.1. I think I have nearly
> everything set, but I can't figure out what starts the exim daemon. I
> did rpm -e sendmail which removed all traces of sendmail from
> /etc/rc.d/. I think there should be something in /etc/rc.d to start exim
> shouldn't there?

Yes. If Exim is installed so that /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symbolic link
to the Exim binary, then the normal command for starting up sendmail
actually starts an Exim daemon instead. The options are deliberately
compatible for just this reason. You need to arrange for the command

/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q15m

(where you could use the path to the exim binary instead of
/usr/sbin/sendmail) to be executed at boot time. (And choose your own
queue runner interval if you don't like 15m.)

I'm not a Linux person, and not familiar with RPMs, but given that there
are now ways of completely removing sendmail, perhaps somebody should
generated a suitable /etc/rc.d for Exim. I think the problem is that
this stuff is very operating system specific.