Re: [Exim] Deny up front country codes .tw and .cn inbound?

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Kevin
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Deny up front country codes .tw and .cn inbound?

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 17:00:42 MST, Kevin wrote:

> I get a ton of spam from hostname.tw type domains. Lots of
> hostname.cn ones too.

If you ONLY want to block mail, and not other kinds of incoming
connections, ignore the rest of this message.

Several people for whom I've done some consulting have opted to filter
out all known Chinese networks. Since Chinese citizens generally don't
have access to foreign currencies, they have little to offer [1] the
businesses to whom I've been consulting.

The following list is maintained by APNIC, and is updated every two
months, according to the APNIC representative from whom I got the URL:

    http://www.apnic.net/maps/

Taiwanese networks may not be as simple a case to block for two reasons:

1) I've been told before (but now don't remember by whom) that network
allocation in Taiwan was poor for a while, resulting in several
allocations from "outside APNIC". Don't accept what I'm saying here
on blind faith; check it out if you're serious.

2) Taiwan has more to offer the rest of the world in terms of
e-commerce.

Ciao,
Sheldon.

[1] Let's not start ideology wars.  This isn't about politics, it's
    about the ratio between potential revenue (almost nil) to network
    abuse (relatively high).