[Exim] Query: exim rejects based on too many retries

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: Exim Users
Oggetto: [Exim] Query: exim rejects based on too many retries
Hi

I'm running exim 3.22 on a box - and a lot of my users on that machine are in
touch with a domain (another of our group companies) which, though having
proper DNS, is on a rather old and overloaded server, causing connects to
their box to time out ~ 70% of the time / their box just refuses connections
flat out.

So, what happens is that exim, after a certain amount of retrying delivery
to the remote machine, just gives up and bouces the mail. Fine, so far.

However, at this stage, the hassle is that whenever one of my users tries to
send a mail to that domain, the mail is instantly bounced with "this message
has remained in the queue for too long, no further retries ..".

Anybody seen this behavior before in exim? I'm out of the office now, so
I'll post log details / config snippets relevant to this when I get back
tomorrow morning, if necessary.

*sigh* - I guess this problem will be going away very soon as we are
migrating that domain to exim on freebsd quite soon - anyway, this is a bit
curious :)

regards
    --suresh