Re: [Exim] backup outgoing mail

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] backup outgoing mail
Frank Neuber <exim-users> [28/06/01 21:57 +0200]:
> I need a way to setup a central backupsystem for outgoing mails.
> All outgoing mails from a list of users should be backed up, e.g to an
> extra mailadress user-backup@domain. It is possible to do this with header
> rewriting? If so, it would be very kindly to send me the belonging rule.
> Maybe there is a better way to do this ...?

The best way is to add a fresh transport (say backup_trn) which writes the
incoming mail to (say) /var/backup - preferably in maildirs.

Then have some setup ready to take regular backups and clear /var/backup ...
backing up every single mail you get (from the 100 kb chain mail and the pr0n
spams to important office mail - likely to be an 1 meg pdf sometimes) will
eat up disk space rather fast.

> By the way: It is possible to change the mailbox password and the list
> of forewarders via MUA or via http? Do I need an IMAP-server for this
> requirements.

You need either a pop or an imap server. I'd recommend Courier IMAP with
VMailMgr. There's a decent perl module for this as well ...

    -suresh