Re: [Exim] Logging script access to mail?

Author: Todd Pederzani
To: Justin Kirk
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Logging script access to mail?
Justin Kirk wrote:

>Got a little worn out searching the archives so I'll just ask the question
>real quick, is there a way to log scripts accessing and sending out e-mail?
>I'm trying to crack down on why the e-mail is slowing down and think it may
>be due to a user spamming through various scripts. I'm not the unix type,
>was just told to signup and ask (the full extent of my skills in unix stop
>at the grep command). Also any other anti-slow-mail tips would be
>appretiated.

The command eximstats will parse your log file (pass it as a command
line argument), and can give you a good hourly breakdown of your
messages, as well as numerous other statistics. It can, at the very
least, give you some good information on which sections of your log file
to look through.

To find locally submitted mails (what I take your question to mean),
take a look at the "P=" field in the logfile... It'll tell you the
protocol which was used to submit the e-mail. P=local and P=local-esmtp
should give you something to look for.

Furthermore, it sounds like this could be some other type of problem
with your machine, you haven't reall provided enough information to tell
if exim is at fault at all...

I hope this helps.

--
Todd Pederzani          tpederzani@???
ProtoCAM                System Administrator