Re: [Exim] Rewriting rules vs headers_rewrite

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Axberg Kris M Civ 502 AOS/AOI
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim] Rewriting rules vs headers_rewrite
On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Axberg Kris M Civ 502 AOS/AOI wrote:

>        I'm masquerading addresses from a private domain to a public
> domain on outbound mail for ex, bob@???
> <mailto:bob@host1.first.net>  appears as bob@???
> <mailto:bob@host1.third.net>  .  This is working (thanks to the FAQ and the
> exim-users newsgroup) using either a 'rule' in the rewrite section of the
> configure file (*@*.first.net        $1@???
> <mailto:$1@host1.third.net> ) or using a similar rule with the
> headers_rewrite option in the smtp transport.  I've sent email using a
> configuration that included either one or both of the rules at the same time
> and have checked my email headers on delivery and don't see any difference
> in those.

>        My question:  Is one method better than the other?

If you only want the rewriting to occur on messages delivered to remote
hosts, then you have to use rewriting in the transport. Otherwise,
consider what happens to a message that is addressed both to an external
address and an internal address. With a "global" rewriting rule, the
rewriting will be present in both copies. So which is better depends on
what you want.