Re: [Exim] exim process and database size problems (exim 3…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Rob Butterworth
A: Oliver Cook
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] exim process and database size problems (exim 3.12-10)
At 12:48 08/06/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 11:23:42AM +0100, Rob Butterworth wrote:
> > We're running exim 3.12-10 on Debian 2.2 with a 2.4 Linux kernel and xfs
> > file systems, and on one of our servers we're seeing some serious problems
> > with exim.
>
>What (if any) are the differences between the systems that exhibit this
>problem
>with huge retry databases, and the ones that don't?

Load. The one that exhibits the problem get at least 10 times the traffic
of the others.

> > The more serious problem is that the exim processes sometimes grow so
> large
> > that the system runs out of both physical and virtual memory. This may
> > correspond with the size of the database files in /var/spool/exim/db
> > getting *huge* - at one point the retry database was 5GB in size (which
> > wouldn't have been possible on an ext2fs partition....)
>
>Our retry database is rarely larger than about 80MB on our relay servers. I
>guess something must be quite seriously badly wrong for it to grow to 5GB.

The process size is also huge. 'top' output :

32351 mail       9   0  895M 427M  114M D       0  2.5 85.3   0:05 exim

I'm approaching the point where I'll have to switch back to sendmail - can
anyone give me a pointer ? Maybe gdbm interactions ?