Re: [Exim] I dont want to use smarthosts.

Author: Nils Ketelsen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] I dont want to use smarthosts.
On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 08:43:31AM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> * Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@???> [20010626 03:34]: writing on the subject '[Exim] I dont want to use smarthosts.'
> Stuart> My exim install was part of the Debian distribution I installed months ago,
> Stuart> as part of that setup I was asked for my isp's SMTP relay, which is now being
> Stuart> used as a smarthost.
>
> First you need a static IP from your ISP. Do you have that??? What is your
> connection type? Dialup? ISDN? DSL? You'll need more than a mere dialup
> connection for this.

This is just wrong.

> Stuart> However it's still using their relay as a smart host. Is there any
> Stuart> way to not use smart hosts and have the mail sent directly to the recipients smtp
> Stuart> server?
>
> Get the results of the above conditions then come back to the list. You'll
> get more help, I believe.
>
> Like Patrick von der Hagen said, you _really_ don't want to make that
> change now.

Well, at home I have a dialup and from time to time I use my exim to deliver
Mails, while not using a smarthost. Its true: Some people do not accept
Mails from Hosts in DUL-Lists, but that is just their decision. If they do
not want Mails from some IP-Addresses they do not get the mail. As I can
live with that its okay for me.

There is no reason why people shouldn't use an MX-Lookup to deliver their
Mail if they want to do so.

Nils

--
Well... It all started with a typo in a safe sex pamphlet. By the time
I discovered I didn't really have to use a condor every time, I'd kind