Re: [Exim] spam filter integration

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
Para: Philip Hazel
CC: John Jetmore, exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] spam filter integration
On 25 Jun 2001 20:46:39 +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, John Jetmore wrote:
>
> > We are subscribers of Brightmail (brightmail.com)'s Anti-spam product for
> > our ISP customers.
>
> Some work was done (not by me) on integrating Brightmail with Exim, but
> I do not know what became of it. IIRC, the Brightmail people
> commissioned it. Might be worth asking them about Exim.

Brightmail asked me to do some, and supplied me with their API
information. I wrote an initial cut at Brightmail integration and have
the patch for that sitting around somewhere. I did not get any feedback
or further information from Brightmail and never properly tested the
work since I did not have a Brightmail server to test against (I
basically just tested against a stub library).

The work I did was patches to exim so would (and was intended by myself)
to fall under GPL. I think that linking it to the Brightmail API would
actually give you a GPL violation which might be why they went very
quiet on the issue :-)

> > Are there any plans to include functionality to replicate sendmail's
> > libmilter functionality in exim, or at least to ease the integration?
>
> I am afraid I'm not omniscient, and I have very little knowledge of
> Sendmail. If you'll give me a clue as to what "sendmail's libmilter
> functionality" is, I might be able to answer the question.

milter support would be very interesting for exim as it would give a
common SMTP type hook with sendmail and might well allow easy use of
virus scanners and the like. Its also the recommended way to implement
interception orders in the UK - make of that what you will :-)
As far as I can see it basically throws parts of the SMTP transaction
out via a socket and takes status replies back which can affect the SMTP
conversation and message deestination. Would be nice to have - I may
follow it up to see if its tightly specified enough and similar enough
to what exim does to implement. It would almost certainly impose a
performance penalty whilst switched on...

    Nigel.
[ ----- Security is not an add-on -- security is a way of life ----- ]