Re: [Exim] Mail server load

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mail server load
[ On Tuesday, June 26, 2001 at 02:00:25 (+0200), Tamas TEVESZ wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Mail server load
>
> i'm serving a bit less than 40.000 users on an athlon 850 with 1G of
> ram and regular ide disks (i'm not even sure about ata66...), the
> memory is because this box is also a quite heavily used sql server (i
> wouldn't have put more than 256M in it if itd been only mail), and the
> peak loadavg (linux2.2) is around 0.4. when myuck^H^H^Hsql gets hit
> big time, it goes up of course, but that unrelated.

The size isn't the issue, and even the rate of incoming mail isn't
terribly hard to scale for -- it's the frequency of accesses that bogs
down a mailbox server. I don't know about recent versions of qpopper,
but older versions would drag a Sun E450 to its knees with 100k
mailboxes and a random sample of all users hitting it every minute with
an even distribution across the minute (and with only an average of a
few hundred KB per mailbox).

Personally I'd recommend Cyrus IMAP since it can handle a decent load of
IMAP connections as well as a high load of POP connections and it's
almost infinitely easier to manage than most maildir-based systems. :-)

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>     <woods@???>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>