Re: [Exim] replacement for smail's pathalias driver

Author: John Jetmore
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] replacement for smail's pathalias driver
On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Philip Hazel wrote:

> If, on the other hand, you want to treat mail that is actually addressed
> to scanned.domain.com differently to mail addressed to 2scan.domain.com,
> it's a bit more complicated. I think I can see how to do it, but I'm not
> going to spend time on the detail unless this is really what you want to
> do. (You have to make 2scan.domain.com a local domain, and use a
> smartuser on it. In a smartuser, you can both change the envelope
> address and direct the message to a specific transport, which can set up
> the host explicitly.)

They need to be treated differently, unfortunately. Although you may not
need this, let me explain our set up in a bit more detail.

1) we have many customer who route their mail through us for virus
scanning. I will refer to the generic domain.com. Under our smail set
up, none of these domains are considered local.

2) mail is received, and it is matched against a scan_inbound router.
This router (pathalias under smail) rewrites the address as
2scan.domain.com and hands it off to a scan_inbound router, which is a
pipe that does various things with the message. This is a delivery
transport.

3) the program, when it is done with the message, calls /usr/lib/sendmail
to re-introduce the message to the queue, still addressed to
user@???.

4) Now the message is matched and handled by the scan_outbound router
(also pathalias). This router statically routes the email to the
customer's private email server and also rewrites the domain to
scanned.domain.com.

Those are the steps I need to replicate in exim. I need the upmost in
flexibility, also, because, for instance, in step four above, some of our
customers have the domain rewritten back to just domain.com. If at all
possible, I would also like to avoid having to include a transport and
router for each domain.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me on this.

--John

    John Jetmore  **  jetmore@???  **  812.461.3355 x1229