[Exim] Re: Strange problem whilst using Reiserfs

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: John Henders
Para: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] Re: Strange problem whilst using Reiserfs
In <20010608094124.A31605@???> ivan.beveridge@??? (Ivan Beveridge) writes:

>(I was going to reply to Don's reply to this, but I couldn't be bothered
>with shuffling around the mail and adding the missing quoting :)

>On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 02:06:19PM +0100, John Burnham wrote:
>> > Are you, by any chance, running qpopper? I have seen this happen once or
>> > twice on such (thanks to the Lines: command being mangled, iirc - I dont
>> run
>> > qpopper)
>> >
>> Yeah, I am actually. Hmm, on my previous mail server I didn't have any
>> problems with it. Oh well, I have changed my POP3 server and will see if the
>> problem goes away. Thanks to all those who helped.

>Don mentioned that he had the problem, but used uw-imap, and moving to ext2
>fixed it. If there is still a problem with reiserfs, this is a bit of a pain,
>as I would want to use some kind of journalling FS (I guess xfs or possibly
>jfs is an option).

>Anyway, I was wondering if using maildir as a format, rather than normal
>mbox, would alleviate the problem. Obviously it doesn't fix the root of the
>problem, but just tries something else. I'm not sure how you could easily
>convert from mbox to maildir, but it may be an option.

The description of the problem looks to me like a file locking issue. I
have seen the same thing when a home brewed pop daemon at a company I
worked for had got file locking wrong. I think it would be very safe to
say that using Maildir format mailboxes would definately fix the
problem, as, as you not, Maildir keeps each message in a seperate file,
so the chance of intermingling messages is eliminated.

I haven't had much time to look at Reiserfs. Is there any test data on
how efficiently it handles lots of small files in a directory as
compared to ext2fs? Ext2fs is fairly poor at huge number of files in a
directory. This was likely to be more of a problem with news than mail
though. Another nice feature you get with Maildir is a simple to
implement ability to expire read mail for your users, if your policies
allow you to do this.

--
  Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.