RE: [Exim] Notes on Exim 3.22 via Redhat 7.1

Góra strony
Autor: Karl Schmidt
Dla: 'Tim Waugh'
CC: exim-users
Temat: RE: [Exim] Notes on Exim 3.22 via Redhat 7.1
> NB The RH package also contains eximconf. Whether their choices of
> uid/gid etc were good is debatable... but they are now there as a
> de-facto standard so we will be living with them :-)

Really exim should have its own UID and GID all to itself, and I had
been planning on making that change for the next Red Hat Linux
release.

Tim.
*/
[KPS] Tim - The UID and GID I saw used on some package was 79 - which is
what I had been using. I suppose a default UID/GID might be a good idea.
When I wrote my 3.22 RPM - I sort of lost interest because I couldn't find
all the documentation that I needed to automatically create the group and
user from within the RPM. (BTW I have only been learning Linux since last
fall) I can test future RPMs for you if you wish.

>The point is, that there are so many compile-time and personal
>extras/choices possible when rolling one's own, that this surely should
>be the choice of the dedicated MA. Or not?

[KPS] Yes, but - I am not a full tim MA - I run a small business, have seen
Unix shell accounts on and off - but last fall I set up my own co-located
server using a stripped out REDHat behind an LRP firewall with some help
from a friend.

I bought a copy of Win2K server - found out it I would have to bend over to
buy exchange - learned about the seat licenses. After dealing with a few
bugs moved to RedHat - steep leaning curve - but I've been quite happy.

I now have set up a RH server to handle internal mail for 5 users - only
move about 500 pcs/ per day. In my spare time I run the business<grin> and
an RPM package approach works well for me. A package allows me to have the
same setup on every machine. (I will end up running 3 machines with exim on
them: main-co-located-web/mail-server, backup-web/mail-server (on a
different backbone) and internal mail server.)

I think, as time goes by there will be a lot more small users than full time
Mail Administrators. I chose exim - first, because sendmail was too messy.
I installed and looked at qmail, but Exim seems to be the best to keep MA
from turning into a full time job.