Re: [Exim] AUTH=LOGIN, authenticating to a smarthost

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Andrew D
Para: Niccolo Rigacci
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] AUTH=LOGIN, authenticating to a smarthost
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 7:11 PM

Yep so I see.
> Exim can't do this, its a MTA not a MUA and as such doesn't expect to do
> SMTP-AUTH as a client. This was covered not so long ago on the mailing
> list. check out the archives.

sorry, I checked out my archives and not the docs which is what was said in
a message or 2. I stand corrected :)

> 34.2 Using plaintext in a client

Though I couldn't find this 34.2 bit in the 3.10 docs on exim's site though
I found the bit that u refer to.

as u mentioned in your original email u said that it shows this :
250-AUTH=LOGIN
exim can't find an authenticator named =LOGIN and as far as I know you can't
put "=LOGIN" as the authentication scheme and exim may even be looking for
the space between AUTH and the Auth scheme. however I may be wrong as proven
just b4 :)

from the 3.10 docs.

Authentication by an Exim client
The `smtp' transport has an option called `authenticate_hosts' if Exim is
built with authentication support. When the `smtp' transport connects to a
server that announces support for authentication, and also matches an entry
in `authenticate_hosts', Exim (as a client) tries to authenticate as
follows:

For each authenticator that is configured as a client, it searches the
authentication mechanisms announced by the server for one whose name matches
the public name of the authenticator.
When it finds one that matches, it runs the authenticator's client code. The
variables `$host' and `$host_address' are available for any string
expansions that the client might do. They are set to the server's name and
IP address. If any expansion is forced to fail, the authentication attempt
is abandoned. Otherwise an expansion failure causes delivery to be deferred.
If the result is a temporary error or a timeout, Exim abandons trying to
send the message to the host for the moment. It will try again later. If
there are any backup hosts available, they are tried in the usual way.
If the response to authentication is a permanent error (5xx code), Exim
carries on searching the list of authenticators. If all authentication
attempts give permanent errors, or if there are no attempts because no
mechanisms match, it tries to deliver the message unauthenticated.
When Exim has authenticated itself to a remote server, it adds the AUTH
parameter to the MAIL commands it sends, if it has got an authenticated
sender for the message. If a local process calls Exim to send a message, the
sender address that is built from the login name and qualify domain is
treated as authenticated.

bascially my 3 suggestions stand, either keep asking them to allow u
through with no AUTH, or get a different ISP, or just send email direct from
exim without using a smart host (if thats possible because of port
blocking).

HTH
cya
Andrew

--
Spotted on the back of a Tee shirt worn by LAPD Bomb Squad:
"If you see me running, try to keep up"