Re: [Exim] problems delivering to outside networks .....

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Yann Golanski
CC: Tamas TEVESZ, Dave Price, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] problems delivering to outside networks .....
On Tue, 8 May 2001, Yann Golanski wrote:

> $ mozilla www.exim.org &
> [...]
> $ exim -d 9 -bt bar@???
> [...]
> $ exim -d 9 -bh 1.2.3.4
> [...]
>
> Phil/Nigel, is there a chance to add this three lines to the FAQ (no,
> don't tell me it's already there!) and the list welcome message?
> Something like:
>
> Q: Why doesn't Exim work?
> A: See above three commands and work it out.

This is what's already there:

Q0002: Exim is not working. What is wrong? How can I check what it is doing?

A0002: Exactly how is it not working? Check the more specific questions in the
       other sections of this FAQ. Some general techniques for debugging are:

       1. Look for information in Exim's log files. These are in the "log"
          directory in Exim's spool directory, unless you have configured a
          different path for them. Serious operational problems are reported
          in paniclog.

       2. If the problem involves the delivery of one or more messages, try
          forcing a delivery with the -d option, to cause Exim to output
          debugging information. For example:

            exim -d -M 0z6CXU-0005RR-00

          On its own, -d produces a small amount of information. Following it
          with a number increases the amount given: -d9 gives the maximum
          amount of general information; -d10 gives in addition details of the
          interpretation of filter files, and -d11 or higher also turns on the
          debugging option for DNS lookups. The output is written to the
          standard error stream.

       3. If the problem involves incoming SMTP mail, try using the -bh option
          to simulate an incoming connection from a specific host, for example:

            exim -bh 10.9.8.7

          This goes through the motions of an SMTP session, without actually
          accepting a message. Information about various policy checks is
          output. You will need to know how to pretend to be an SMTP client.

       4. If the problem involves lack of recognition or incorrect handling
          of local addresses, try using the -bt option with debugging turned
          on, to see how Exim is handling the address. For example,

            exim -d2 -bt z6abc

          will show you how it would handle the local part "z6abc". Increase
          the debug level to -d9 for more information.