[Exim] a way to use Mailman in an IP virtualhost environment…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: emf
A: Nigel Metheringham, Cal Evans
Cc: exim-users
Temas antiguos: Re: [Exim] Mailing list options?
Asunto: [Exim] a way to use Mailman in an IP virtualhost environment.
--On Tuesday, April 24, 2001 13:25:24 +0100 Nigel Metheringham
<Nigel.Metheringham@???> wrote:

> Mailman supports multiple virtual domains as long as you don't need to
> enforce strict separation or have different lists with the same names
> in different domains.

I've actually gone one step further ... I have a mailman for each IP I
have, so my IP-virtualhosted clients can sort out their domain/list
situation themselves.

Arranging for delivery to all of those mailmen is a bit of a challenge,
particularly if you don't know the domains that a user may opt to point at
their IP in advance. In addition, if you wish users to be able to invoke
mailman's delivery script, the mailman has to have --with-mail-gid set to
the user's group.

My solution for this was to put, in each dns record:

lists  A  their.ip.addy
          TXT "username"
          MX 10 lists

and then use the really neat feature that was apparently tossed in on a
whim - dnsdb lookup - in order to figure out what user to deliver as. If
you have an easier way to map domain name > username, or if you don't care
if the user can deliver to their own mailman, the txt thing doesn't matter.

I even use this to figure out where the mailman is, i.e. /home/${lookup
dnsdb ...}/mailman/
Since I had to symlink their home directory to a directory called their IP
in order to get their mailman interface to show up via apache, i could have
skipped all that and used ${interface_address} in lieu of ${lookup dnsdb
...}.

The MX bit does matter: the MTA that handles lists isn't the same as the
one that handles other mail. Alternatively, you could use a director, I
believe.

Hope that's interesting,
--
emf