Re: [Exim] Multithreading

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Pedro Crespo
A: Phil Pennock
Cc: Lista-Exim
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Multithreading
OK, that mean if you want to increase your mail system size, you add more computers (horizontal growth) better
than to add more CPU's in a single computer (vertical growth).

Regards

Phil Pennock wrote:

> On 2001-04-10 at 19:21 +0200, Pedro Crespo gifted us with:
> > Does anybody know if Exim is multithreading? I mean if it takes
>
> Yes, many people know.
>
> No, exim is not multithreaded.
>
> > adventages of multiproccessor systems.
>
> With an MTA, CPU speed is not the bottleneck, unless perhaps you're
> using a large amount of virus scanning. In which case, Exim sits on one
> CPU and the virus scans are in other processes, so the OS takes care of
> the multi-tasking automatically.
>
> Save the money of dual-CPU. Spend it on RAM and a better disk system.
> These will reap much larger dividends.
>
> Besides, almost every threading system I've seen has been a flakey piece
> of garbage. It's POSIX's fault -- insisting on something which could
> be implemented entirely in userland, so as not to antagonise the slower
> systems developers. So the threads stuff tries to play clever tricks
> with wrappers around blocking system calls, which then breaks when
> somebody sneezes.
>
> Solaris native threads are okay.
> --
> There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
> We don't believe this to be a coincidence. -- Jeremy S. Anderson
>
> --

begin:vcard
n:Crespo;Pedro
tel;fax:+34 91 715 79 15
tel;work:+34 91 714 04 42
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.ipsistemas.com
org:IP Sistemas, S.A.
version:2.1
email;internet:pcrespo@???
title:Director T?cnico
adr;quoted-printable:;;V=EDa de las Dos Castillas-33=0D=0AEdificio Atica-3=0D=0A28224-Pozuelo de Alarc=F3n, Madrid=0D=0A;;;;
fn:Pedro Crespo
end:vcard