Re: [Exim] Bypassing exim with fetchmail/procmail good idea?

Autor: Peter Radcliffe
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Bypassing exim with fetchmail/procmail good idea?
"Dr. Christian Seberino" <seberino@???> probably said:
> Thanks for the kind reply. What did you mean when you said you
> could make exim daemon only listen to localhost?

You can make exim listen only on 127.0.0.1, and not listen on
any interfaces that are accessable from the net.

From TFSpec;

] local_interfaces              Type: string list                Default: unset
]
]     The string must contain a list of IP addresses, in dotted-quad format for
]     IPv4 addresses, or in colon-separated format (with colons doubled) for
]     IPv6 addresses. These are used for two different purposes:
]
]      .   When a daemon is started to listen for incoming SMTP calls, it
]          listens only on the interfaces identified here, that is, it calls
]          "bind()" for these interfaces only. An error occurs if it is unable
]          to bind a listening socket to any interface.
]
]      .   Only the IP addresses listed here are taken as the local host's
]          addresses when routing mail and checking for mail loops.
]
]     If "local_interfaces" is unset, the daemon issues a generic "listen()"
]     that accepts incoming calls from any interface, and it also gets a
]     complete list of available interfaces and treats them all as local when
]     routing mail. On most systems the default action is what is wanted.
]     However, some systems set up large numbers of virtual interfaces in order
]     to provide many different virtual web servers. In these cases
]     "local_interfaces" can be used to restrict SMTP traffic to one or two
]     interfaces only. See also "hosts_treat_as_local".

> From what you said sounds like for personal use bypassing a running
> daemon has no negatives. I'm glad to hear that.

That is my experience.

P.

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???