Re: [Exim] Bypassing exim with fetchmail/procmail good idea?

Autor: Peter Radcliffe
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Bypassing exim with fetchmail/procmail good idea?
"Dr. Christian Seberino" <seberino@???> probably said:
> I use exim to *SEND* email but it seems more simple
> to not run exim daemon constantly and just have
> fetchmail bypass port 25 and give email directly
> to procmail.
>
> Fetchmail man page says this is bad because
> this:
>   "disables some valuable  resource-exhaustion  checks
>    and error handling provided by SMTP listeners"

> Does anyone understand this or have any opinions
> on this?

You have a lot more choices for rejecting (perm or temp) mail at SMTP
time than by calling the MTA directly. If you were transferring all
the mail for a site/domain/whatever and had significant amounts of
mail this might be a real consideration. If you're just doing
personal mail it's not really anything to worry about.

I've been using this with fetchmail and exim for quite a while on my
laptop. I don't have exim running as a daemon on my laptop.

poll pop.some.where proto IMAP port 993
no dns no envelope
user "username" pass "password" is "local-user" here
mda "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -f %F %T"
smtpaddress local.fqdn;
no rewrite
ssl

You could also set the exim daemon to only listen on localhost if you
were only worried about security/access matters.

\pir

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???